I am sure most people are sick of ham by now but never get sick of it. Ham Noodle Skillet is my third leftovers meal from my Baked Ham. Actually this isn’t from my baked ham but my mom’s ham on Easter. I had forgotten I would also be inheriting more delicious ham from both our parent’s houses.
I like to make this in my cast iron pan because you can make the cheese sauce and add the ham, veggies, and noodles and then just pop it right into the oven. It comes together quick while dirtying a minimum amount of dishes.
I start off by cooking half a box of rotini pasta (because that is Norah’s favorite kind). While that is boiling I chop up a couple cups of leftover ham and ready 2 cups of frozen veggies and 1 cup shredded cheese.
In the cast iron pan over medium heat I melt 3 tablespoons butter and add 1/4 cup flour. Once that is combined I added 2 cups milk and whisked to combine. It thickens really fast in the cast iron pan. It only took about 1 minute to look ready for the cheese.
Next I added 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper then tossed in 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup mozzarella. After giving it a good stir to melt the cheese you are ready to add everything else.
Into the pan goes the cooked noodles, ham, 1 cup frozen peas, and 1 cup frozen corn. The hardest part is not spilling it all over the cook top. I did, then cleaned it up to take the picture!
The last step before the oven is to spread bread crumbs on top and dot with another tablespoon of butter. Then into a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
When it comes out I give it a few minutes to cool before dishing it up and serving to my maniacs.
A delicious, easy, and quick dinner that includes noodles (that means Spencer will at least try it) utilizing leftovers that will also give us enough extra to feed the kids lunch the next day.
- 4 tablespoon butter divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 8 oz cooked rotini pasta
- 2 cups ham cooked and cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 9 inch cast iron pan over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons butter and whisk in 1/4 cup flour.
- Add 2 cups of milk and whisk until combined and thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, cheddar, and mozzarella and stir into melted.
- Add noodles, ham, peas, and corn. Stir to combined everything.
- Add bread crumbs to top and dot with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove, let cool a few minutes then serve!