I know one thing is for sure… My kids will never complain about Spaghetti and Meatballs. They are quick, easy for weeknights, and greatly appreciated by my family so I love making them.
I have approximately 0% Italian in me so no one will consider these authentic but they work very well for us!
I usually cheat a little and use “Meatloaf mix” for the meatballs. It is a combo of Beef, Pork, and Veal or you could just get 1 pound beef and mix with 1/4 pound pork.
Into a large bowl I place the ground meatloaf mix and combine with panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, grated onion, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and a 1/4 cup water. I like to grate a small or medium sized onion into mix instead of dicing it because it give you the onion flavor but keeps the meatballs from having large chunks of onion in them.
Once everything is mixed together it is time to shape them into balls. I am trying for 12 golf ball sized meatballs. This will give me enough for a spaghetti and meatball dinner plus enough leftovers for meatball subs or meatball pizza the next day.
Once the meatballs are shaped I will sprinkle a little more salt and pepper on the outside of them before browning them.
Into a hot pan with olive oil they go to brown on all sides.
Once browned they go on a sheet pan and into a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes to finish cooking.
When they go in oven, I use the pan I browned the meatballs in, to cook the sauce for the spaghetti. Homemade tomato sauce (from our canning adventures last fall) mixed with onions, garlic, dried sun gold tomatoes (from the garden), seasonings and a little Parmesan cheese.
Fifteen minutes later everything gets put together and served to a rowdy table full of maniacs.
- 1.25 lbs Meatloaf Mix or combination beef and pork
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 small yellow onion grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and warm a pan with olive oil on stove to medium heat.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until combined,
- Divide and roll into 12 golf ball sized meatballs. Sprinkle extra salt and pepper on exterior of meatballs.
- Brown in olive oil on the stove, on all sides.
- Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes to finish.
- Serve them with spaghetti and enjoy!