I almost put healthy in the title. I am not sure I can get away with that. I have been making deep fried mustard and batter dipped chicken wings for years now. The only thing is, deep frying food takes a lot of work and isn’t that good for us. So I decided to create a baked version of our Mustard Chicken Wings.
Baking these chicken wings exceeded my expectations (which was low since frying stuff tastes awesome) by quite a bit. I might never go back to frying them it was so much easier and just as tasty. The only downside to the meal is I can’t get Spencer to eat bone in chicken. He just doesn’t understand or trust bones in food. Oh well, I will just have to cut up some of the chicken for him.
This meal is inexpensive and comes together fast. You need to ready 3 phases of flavor for chicken. First spice & herb, second mustard, and third baking mix and butter.
Step one – I mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and some garden herbs in a small bowl. This mix gets sprinkled on both side of chicken wings.
Step two – paint both sides of chicken wings yellow with mustard.
Now in a bowl I mix 3/4 cup baking mix (i.e. Bisquik) with 3 tablespoons grated butter. I take butter out of fridge and using a box grated shred it and quickly work it into the flour mixture. I do it this way because applying melted butter on top of batter usually ends up displacing the flour on the chicken wing. Now the butter mix will form a golden crunchy crust on wing.
Flavor phase 3 – roll wings into butter mix batter and place on baking sheet lined with silicone (or parchment/foil). Make sure to knock any excess batter off.
After 25 minutes in a 450 degree oven they will come out looking wonderful. After Norah devoured a few of these I began to realize this recipe would require doubling in the not so distant future.
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken wings separated
- 3/4 cup baking mix (i.e. Bisquik)
- 3 tablespoons butter grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garden herbs (your favorite herb mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 heaping tablespoon yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and ready a baking sheet lined with silicone.
- In a bowl combine baking mix and grated butter. Working the butter into the mix.
- In a small bowl combine salt, garlic powder, herbs, pepper and paprika.
- Sprinkle salt and herb mixture on both sides of chicken wings.
- Then paint chicken wings with mustard using a kitchen brush on both sides.
- Finally roll wings in baking mix and transfer to baking sheet.
- Tap off any excess batter,
- Bake for 25 minutes until crispy, golden, and done.
- Serve and enjoy!