This is the stuffing of my childhood and my mom’s childhood too. This is the recipe for my Gramma’s Sausage Stuffing. This is what my mom makes every Thanksgiving and for my birthday. I never ask for much from my mom on my birthday – just a full Thanksgiving meal honoring the day of my birth.
My Gramma passed away over 20 years ago now. She lived in New Jersey but her and my Grampa summered at a camp in Maine (which is how my mom found her way up here permanently over 40 years ago). We spent lots of summer days together at the camp but I don’t have memories of my Gramma cooking. They lived in New Jersey and we were in Maine for most big holiday meals. This recipe is a nice way to remember her (and also consume sausage).
As you can see from my mom’s handwritten recipe this stuffing makes use of store bought stuffing by jazzing it up with sausage. It is really easy to make and tastes awesome. I get legitimately upset when my mom only makes one batch for holiday dinners – you need two batches to get leftovers with all of us.
The first thing to do is cook, brown, and drain grease from 1 lb of your favorite sausage. I used breakfast sausage.
While the sausage was cooking I put a stick of butter into 4 cups of water and microwaved for 3 minutes. I stirred it together to distribute the melted butter.
Now in a large mixing bowl I combined the stuffing mix, sausage, egg, and the water butter mixture. Stir it together until everything is incorporated.
I buttered a 4 qt baking pan and then spread the sausage stuffing into the pan. The stuffing goes into the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (I have also cooked at 325 degrees for 1 hour – depending on what else you are cooking).
It will come out of the oven smelling and looking delicious. I fluff it up a little with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl. Then I place it on the table, as close to where I am sitting as possible and strategically as far away from Norah as possible. She is my biggest competition for sausage stuffing and I am not above stacking the deck in my favor to get the most!
- 14 oz bag stuffing mix (i.e. Pepperidge Farm Classic Stuffing)
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 4 qt baking pan.
- In a pan cook and brown sausage until done.
- Drain grease from sausage and remove from heat.
- In a microwave safe bowl place 4 cups water and 1 stick of butter and heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove butter and water and stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl combine stuffing mix, egg, sausage, and water butter.
- Stir until well combined and transfer to buttered baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes until done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before enjoying!