Every December I take a week of vacation to stay home. I call it my Christmas vacation time. We do our shopping and I always make tins of treats to take to our parents, and siblings. I have been making these sugar coated pecans for about 5 years and it is always a struggle to save some to put into tins. I find it much easier to just shovel them into my mouth immediately.
If pecans weren’t so expensive it would be worth making this recipe just for the smell that will fill your house. Sugar and cinnamon slowly baking would make an awesome candle scent (probably already exists).
This recipe is simple and comes together really fast. In a large bowl whisk 1 egg white with 1/4 cup water until frothy (about a minute). Add 1 pound of pecan halves into bowl and stir to combine with egg white mixture.
Next pour 1 cup white sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt on top of pecans.
Stir well to combine everything.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees and spread pecans onto a 1/2 sheet pan lined with silicone mat or parchment paper.
Bake 30 minutes, then remove from oven and try to flip them over. Return to oven for another 30 minutes.
After an hour they will smell awesome and look amazing. You need to let them cool 30 minutes or so to hardened up. Then remove from pan and break up any sticking together or just stuff them into your mouth. I am not sure how long these will keep because they have never needed to last more then 2 days in our house.
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lb pecan halves
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a half sheet pan with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk egg white and water until frothy.
- Add pecans to bowl and stir to combine.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to bowl and stir well to combine everything.
- Spread in single layer on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip pecans then bake another 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and hardened up at room temperature 30 minutes before eating!